Thursday, August 6, 2026

It's Not What You Think by Clare Macintosh

July 24, 2026

It's Not What You Think by Clare Macintosh

Nadeeka comes home from work to find the police at her house and her boyfriend dead on the floor. From the way he had been acting, she suspected that he had been seeing someone else and was planning to leave her. But the mystery only deepens as Nadeeka tries to piece together what her boyfriend had really been up to.

No. No, it wasn't. What I thought it was going to be.

It's the middle of summer, and I was expecting a juicy "is he cheating/isn't he cheating" thriller, with a host of suspects: the current girlfriend, the girlfriend's ex, the boyfriend's new side piece, the side piece's partner, the boyfriend's ex, the BFF, the jealous buddy, the creepy neighbor, etc. But this turned out to have heavy poitical/social themes. Not my thing at all, especially since it's a reflection of what is going on in the world today. There were a couple of twists but I saw both of them coming well in advance. 

I've read other books by this author and really enjoyed them. This one, not so much, although I'm sure it will appeal to many readers. Disappointing.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an eARC for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment