Thursday, September 3, 2026

One of the Family by Mark Edwards

August 22, 2026

One of the Family by Mark Edwards

When a man is invited to spend New Year's Eve (Hogmanay if you're Scottish) with his wealthy girlfriend's family at their resort home in a remote part of the Scottish Highlands, he gets a lot more than a winter vacation among the rich and fabulous.'

I finished this late one evening when there was nothing worth watching on television (like most nights) and the next morning, I had to sit down and think through the ending. At first, I wasn't sure whether I liked it or not. The plot is clever and convoluted, with several deaths and a number of twists that connect actions from almost two decades earlier to what is going on in the present. Horrible family, not even morally ambiguous, just reprehensible - the only likable family member is the dog Watson, and he isn't in it enough. I have been told that the plot is similar to the HBO show Succession which I haven't seen, so can't confirm or deny - maybe I will subscribe to HBO over the winter and watch it.

Many thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for providing an eARC for review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment