August 19, 2026
When Mikan Road Was Ours by D. K. Furitani
When his great-uncle dies, a reclusive Japanese-American teacher finds he has inherited a baseball glove and a piece of the family's farm in Japan, but more importantly, his great-uncle's memoirs. He begins to read, learning more about his father's estranged family than his late father ever said about them.
I know you're not supposed to criticize books by non-white authors, especially if they are writing about heritage or how bad their race was treated by white people. But this book seemed disjointed and heavy handed. I understand that the author was trying to educate us, but there is too much over-explaining in some sections. The memoir sections were the most interesting part, but then they just stop, like the author didn't know where to go with them. Rather than the letters and computer notes and poetry, I would have found it more engaging if Ben's memoirs had continued and filled in more of the family history. I was about ready to hit the unnamed narrator with a stick when his dog kept getting out of the yard and he wasn't doing anything to keep his dog safe. Being apathetic or lethargic is one thing, but not when you are responsible for another creature's life.
Many thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for providing an eARC for review.
World War II Japanese internment camp in California


No comments:
Post a Comment